Macular Disease Foundation Australia logo

Government services overview

What government support can you get?

You may be eligible for a number of government support services if you live with vision loss from macular disease. 

Your eligibility may depend on your level of vision loss, your age, your financial status and where you live. 

Aged care

My Aged Care has been established as the single contact point to access the aged care system. We can help point you in the right direction.

National Disability Insurance Scheme

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a welfare support scheme of the Australian Government that funds costs associated with disability. 

The blind pension

If you’ve been declared legally blind, you may be eligible for one of two blind pensions.

Public transport subsidies

If you are legally blind, you may be eligible for public transport subsidies. This can include discounts for taxis, trains and buses. Contact MDFA for more information.

Companion card for carers

If you care for someone with legal blindness, you may be eligible for a state and territory Companion Card. The Companion Card allows you to go to venues and activities with the person you are caring for, without having to buy a second ticket. 

Subsidised aids and equipment

State and territory governments provide subsidised aids and equipment programs for people with a disability. However, not all of them provide low vision assistive technology. Contact MDFA for more information.

Veteran Affairs

If you are a veteran, war widow or war widower, you should also contact the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) to enquire if you are eligible for other benefits.