There is a wide range of formal services available for carers that include financial entitlements and benefits. Entitlements change and the following serves as a guide only. Check with the relevant authority for current information.
Carers can receive benefits and entitlements for their time including:
A means tested carer payment that provides eligible carers with a fortnightly payment from Centrelink. As this is a pension, carers who receives the Carer Payment will also be eligible for other related pensioner concessions.
A non-means tested carer allowance may provide a carer with fortnightly payments from Centrelink. You can be eligible for the Carer Allowance without receiving the Carer Payment.
A Pensioner Concession Card may provide a carer with:
- A pensioner education supplement (if studying)
- Access to a Centrelink jobs, education and training advisor
- Pharmaceutical allowance
- Telephone allowance
- Rent assistance
- Remote area allowance
- GST supplement
- A reduction in council rates and charges
- Electricity, gas and water rebates
- Dog and cat registration rebates
- Free drivers licence renewal
- Discounted travel on public transport
- Countrylink train travel
To obtain information on eligibility for the Carer Payment, Carer Allowance or pensioner concessions, contact Centrelink on 13 27 17 or click here.