All About Low Vision
Living Well with MD is about maintaining and increasing quality of life and independence. People with MD need to regain a sense of control, to continue to confidently and independently undertake as many regular activities in their daily life as possible. This can be achieved by incorporating management strategies, which include staying engaged with the community, social and recreational networks, keeping active, learning new skills and adapting to new circumstances.
There are a number of strategies which can help overcome the challenges of Living with MD. These include:
- Staying positive and setting realistic goals
- Actively learning and adjusting to new skills and feeling empowered through accomplishment
- Keeping things in perspective
- Accepting limitations and not being too demanding of oneself
- Actively seeking support from others
- Adopting a can-do attitude
People with low vision, especially those recently diagnosed, may need help to:
- Source aids and obtain skill training
- Stay engaged with their communities
Occasionally some people may become depressed or anxious and may need professional counselling and/or peer support. Professional medical help and advice should be sought immediately if there are any concerns.
Beyondblue provides a 24-hour telephone counselling service for the cost of a local call.